Fun Facts About North Bend
North Bend Fun Facts
- North Bend was made famous by David Lynch’s television series Twin Peaks, and the show immortalized Twede's Cafe and its cherry pie and '"damn fine cup o' coffee," which you can still enjoy today.
- The all-time record high temperature of 105°F was set in 2009.
- Did you know that North Bend and the surrounding upper valley are home to a resident elk herd numbering between 300 and 600 elk?
- Did you know that the area presents impressive array of hiking and bicycling trails and paths, including the most famous and popular hike in Washington State, the Mount Si Trail, a strenuous 8-mile round trip hike with an elevation gain of over 4,000 feet?
- Did you know that famous Mt. Si is named for Josiah Merritt (Uncle Si), who died in 1882?
- Did you know that the Native Americans who inhabited the Snoqualmie Valley, led by Chief Patkanim, sided with settlers in the local wars of the 1850s?
- Did you know that the first permanent settler in the valley was Jeremiah Borst, in 1858, who traveled west by ox team?
- Did you know that in 1865 Matts Peterson platted North Bend as Snoqualmie but because another nearby town had the same name renamed it Mountain View, but the Post Office Department objected to the name, so it was renamed North Bend after its location near the north bend of the South Fork of the Snoqualmie River?
- Did you know that North Bend was officially incorporated on March 12, 1909?
- Did you know that the Snoqualmie Valley Historical Museum has been sharing the history of the Snoqualmie Valley for over 50 years?
- Did you know that Rattlesnake Lake and Rattlesnake Ridge got their name from Seattle pioneer Arthur A. Denny when the rattle of seed pods on the nearby prairie frightened a road surveyor into thinking he was being attacked by a rattler? (The surveyor didn't realize that there were no poisonous snakes in Western Washington).
How Far From North Bend?
- Did you know that the famous Snoqualmie Falls is 5 minutes from downtown North Bend?
- Did you know that The Summit at Snoqualmie Ski Resort (which includes Summit's West, Central and East, as well as Alpental) featuring 2,000 acres of skiing (including 550 acres of backcountry and 600 acres of night skiing), and operating 25 ski lifts, is just 20 minutes from North Bend?
- Did you know that North Bend is 30 minutes from the world class metropolis of Seattle, with all the concerts, operas, football, baseball, and culture a person could ask for?
- Did you know that North Bend is 40 minutes from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport with direct flights to Beijing, London, Rio de Janeiro, Sydney and Cairo?
- Did you know that the ferry to the beautiful San Juan Islands and Victoria, Canada is just 90 minutes from North Bend?
- Did you know that North Bend is 1 million miles from the hustle and bustle of big city life?